Saturday, April 5, 2008

Journal Blog: Friendship in A Foreign Land

As I immerse myself deeper into the culture of Rwanda I discover great hardships in discerning trust and friendships. These are the same challenges that I would find in my homeland, but with the added difficulty of differences in cultural meanings and language. I have many Rwandan friends whom I have become very close to and we've come to a place in our relationship where I am examining truths. There is alot here in Rwanda that is quite misleading and one can be fooled or blessed without knowing which. So, in my turmoil, I always seek God's Word and prayer for some answers.

I began by examining friendship in the Bible and this is what I found in order to measure true friendship. JONATHON was a true friend to DAVID:

"After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father's house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt." (1 Samuel 18)

"And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God." (1 Samuel 23:16-18)

"Saul and Jonathan—in life they were loved and gracious...I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women. " (2 Samuel 1:23-27)

So, to summarize, a true faithful friend 1) loves you as himself and gives everything to it (Jonathan gave his robe, tunic, sword, and belt - literally the "shirt off his back" and his protection - to David) 2)helps you find strength in God, 3) is a love that is different and more wonderful than romantic love. With these I shall guage what I can.

Secondly, I was steered toward a faithful servant-friendship, that of Eleazar (the "faithful stewart") to Abraham. Eleazar was the most trusted servant of Abraham, whom He trusted to send out to find the right bride for his son Isaac. But there is more to this story. When Abram was barren, Eleazar was the first born male in the house of Abram, which in the Jewish law, makes him legal heir to his estate.

"And Abram said, ‘Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eleazar [Lazarus] of Damascus and lo, one born in my house is mine heir.’" Genesis 15:2–3

But Abraham sent Eleazar on an assignment which would disinherit him from the fortune and blessings of Abraham. Eleazar did this willingly and unquestioning. He was faithful and did not waver in his efforts. He trusted God and prayed for God to point him to the bride for Isaac. Later on in Luke 16, Jesus tells the parable of the Lazarus and the Rich Man. Lazarus is a transliteration of the Hebrew Eleazar which means "God has helped". Lazarus was the "beggar" who ate scraps from the Rich Man's table, while the Rich Man (Judah) inherits everything. In life, the Rich Man inherited "good things" while Lazarus received "bad things". But in Heaven, Lazarus ends up in the "bosom of Abraham" and is "comforted" while the Rich Man is in "agony".

So, from Eleazar I learn that a true faithful friend puts his own blessings aside for the sake of friendship, risks everything for his friend. And in the end, a true friend receives his treasures in Heaven.

This is what the Lord has taught me. Friends, I ask for prayers that God would show me how to use this knowledge to make decisions and discern who are my true trusted friends and who are not. I cannot exist in a foreign country without true friends. I need help to interpret the culture. I have to have someone to trust that will care to rescue me when there is danger, that will care about me despite what I can give them. I need some kind of safety. This is tough because my love language of receiving is giving time and actions. My love language of giving is things, time and actions. This is how I love people. So, I struggle and I focus my attention on Jesus, for if I keep my gaze upon Him I will be safe. I don't want my friends and family to be afraid for me, just pray for me. God will make a way for everything. He has shown me miracle upon miracle His great protection over me. Right now, my heart is being tested in strength, and perhaps I am being taught and taken further in my ability to discern.

You [God] will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, Because he trusts in You [God]. (Isaiah 26:3 NIV)

I welcome any encouragement and prayer. I thank you for your trust and support. God will bring me through this. I love you all sincerely. Be blessed by His Word and cherish true friendships. Please pray for me for I am here to serve Him to the end. God bless you all, truly!

Love in Christ Jesus,
Linda

P.S. Pray for this blog as its packed with truth as I perceive it and the enemy does not like the truth. I pray protection over this blog in the name of Jesus, that it would only bring blessings.

No comments: